Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Why?

I waited for Aldarion to return from talking to the girl, I could not recall her name at the moment. I had several questions to ask him, but I feared he would be reluctant to answer them. I grew more certain that he would when he first turned back to say something else to the girl and then walked right past me. Was he trying to avoid me?

I got up to follow him, but stopped a few paces back when I saw him speak to Elladan. My ears caught their low conversation. Wait... Aldarion was going to leave? Well, I could certainly understand the thoughtfulness in relieving the others of their worries, but I had not thought we were planning to stay where we were for that much longer. A doubt crept into my mind... had he somehow guessed that I wished to question him and used this as an excuse to - the thought hurt - get away from me? I waited for him to finish speaking. I figured that if he was not running away from me, in a manner of speaking, he would say farewell before he left.

My heart sank as Aldarion left Elladan and began walking towards the edge of the camp without so much as a glance towards me, even though I had been close by. It sank still further when I saw him bid a farewell to Ella and Legolas before walking out of the camp. So he did wish to avoid me.

The knowledge was painful, and I turned away, trying to hide the tears that had sprung from the hurt in my heart.

~ Rosriel

1 comment: