Saturday, April 18, 2009

"I..." I looked at my hands. "I thought he loved another--Lady Nessa. I convinced myself he did...that nothing could happen between us..."

"But now you know he loves you, Ella."

"I'm not sure I can believe it."

"You think he would lie to you? About something like that?"

"Not exactly, no. I suppose that is not what I meant. But...I can't believe it will work between us...after thinking he cared for me only as a friend for so long a time...well, I convinced myself I only cared for him as a friend as well."

"And yet..." Rosriel prodded.

"And yet it was never true. I love him. And I've loved him...since...since the first time I realized that while when Elrond looked at me it was only with pity, when Legolas looked at me it was with the love of a true friend."

Rosriel smiled. "You have to tell him, Ella."

I shook my head. "I can't. And you can't either. He can't know."

"What? Why not??"

I put my head in my hands. "He just can't."

Rosriel sighed. "I won't tell him. But you should."

"Someday, maybe."

"Will you come back with me?"

I nodded. "I miss being with you and the others. And...I really miss Legolas."

"I'm glad you'll be back. We've missed you too. Legolas especially wasn't handling it well. He'll be happy to see you again...whether or not you're ready to reveal your feelings to him."

"Thank you, dear sister."

No comments: