As we all sat around the campfire under the starlit sky, chatting with each other when a dreaded question came up.
"So Turwethiel, I haven't been able to become very acquainted with you, yet. What's your background?" Rosriel asked this, and consequently the talk died down and everyone looked at me with interest.
I poked at the fire making sure that no emotion was displayed on my face, "I grew up in Greenwood, I'm a very distant cousin of Legolas, and I am now traveling with all of you." A very lame response, but I was not ready to tell the rest.
Ella said, "And what about your family?"
I shifted uncomfortably but still managed to keep any trace of emotion off my face, "Dead." With that, I grabbed my bow and arrows and walked away from the campfire as fast as I could, leaving everyone staring with puzzlement.
"Don't think badly of her," Legolas stated quietly, "she has been through much pain and suffering."
"When and how did they die?" Aldarion asked.
"It's not for me to share her past, but it was not long ago that it happened. I'll return with her shortly." With this, Legolas left the campsite to find her.
I had walked some distance when I stopped by a mighty tree and sunk to the ground at its base. I was not one for crying, but tears silently slid down my face. "Why did they have to ask that question? Will I ever get over what happened?"
Then I heard a gentle voice call out, "Turwethiel?"
I wiped my face with the back of my hand, "Over here Legolas."
He came over and sat next to me. "I know it's hard Turwethiel, but you will heal in time. It was not your fault you know."
"I know that. No one can help what orcs do,” I said this in a bitter tone, “but I can’t help wishing they were still alive. Hunting orcs in the forest with my brothers and getting into all sorts of fun adventures; being welcomed home by Father’s strong arms; and Mother…..beautiful Mother who taught me to be a true Elven lady.
“And being loved by Eruadan*?”
“Yes.”
"Sometimes it helps to talk about things we bottle up inside, and I have never heard you to tell the whole story, even though I know what happened."
"Maybe you're right, but not right now. Some other time.” I got up to go back, and Legolas got up as well.
Before we left he gave me a hug and said, “I’m ready when you want to talk, cousin.”
“Thank you.”
We began to walk back to camp.
~Turwethiel
*(Air-oo-ah-dahn) Elvish for Gabriel, which means Man of God
Monday, April 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment