Monday, April 13, 2009

A Call

Together Turwethiel and I began walking back towards the camp. We had just come in sight of it when I stopped. "Turwethiel, please go on ahead."

She looked at me quizzically. "What do you mean? I thought you said you were going to come back to the camp."

I shook my head. "I know, but... I am not ready just yet." I played with my necklace. "I need some time to think, to adjust."

Turwethiel nodded. "Yes, I can certainly understand that. What shall I tell them?"

"Just that I need some time to be alone."

I watched Turwethiel walk away and then turned back to the forest. I found myself wandering, and thinking, eventually sitting down beside a small stream and staring into it's bubbling waters. How I hoped that Ella was safe! I had sent word by the band of elves whom had rescued us from the orc attack that she had been found, and now I dreaded the thought of the anguish they might feel if something terrible happened to her - again. Yet I did not want to send word to them that she had left our company, for she might come back or maybe was even on her way to visit them.

My heart lifted at the thought and I hoped that Ella would go to visit our parents. How happy that would make them! I could picture the reception in my mind... a royal welcome for a princess of the Greenwood. I was sure that our uncle, King Thranduil would host at least one feast. I wished that I could be there, then reminded myself that I did not even know what Ella's plans had been. Still, the thought was comforting and I clung to it.

I started up as I felt a hand on my shoulder, heard a voice behind me, and whirled around. I gasped. "Legolas!"

He looked apologetic. "I am sorry Rosriel, I did not mean to startle you. I thought you heard me coming." He glanced at me carefully. "Would you prefer that I leave?"

I felt a slight twinge of irritation, had not I told Turwethiel to let them know I wanted to be alone? But then, perhaps Legolas had not been with the company. The thought occured to me that perhaps he had been worried about my flight into the forest and come to find me. "No, no. I do not mind." I saw that there was still a red mark on his face, and I blushed. "Legolas, can you ever forgive me? I am so sorry! I did not mean to, I was so upset..."

He nodded. "There is nothing to forgive." He smiled, taking my hand. "I am glad that you are safe, I was afraid you might be lost."

I burst into tears. My dear cousin! I had slapped him, yelled at him in front of the whole Fellowship, and he had still worried for my safety. I flung my arms around him "No, I am not lost."

He stepped back, looking a bit confused at my outburst. "Yes well," he glanced down. "I am afraid I have an apology as well," he took a deep breath. "I suspect it was because of me that Ella left. You were right, I did say something to her, but I would not have if I had known that this is how she would react. I am sorry."

I stared. What could he mean? An idea occured, I recalled how Ella had told me of Legolas' kindess to her when she grew up in Rivendell, how treated her so gently, had taken care of her the time she had hurt her ankle. "You told her you loved her, did you not?"

He looked surprised. "How did you know?"

I smiled. "Never put it past a woman to guess when a man is in love, particularily with her sister or friend." My smile faded, "Then she does not return your affections?"

"No, she seemed most upset when I told her, and now she has left..." he trailed off. "I believe I must have displeased her greatly."

I shook my head, "I do not believe that she does not return your feelings!"

Legolas looked up, startled.

I went on, "If she felt nothing for you, she would have told you and stayed, not run off as she did. No, she must either be uncertain of her feelings or there is something holding her back and so she left."

A look of hope entered Legolas' eyes. "Will you help me search for her?"

I was hesitating, on the verge of agreeing when suddenly something held me back. I knew with a deep conviction that I could not go with Legolas. "No," I replied, gently but firmly. "I can not."

His face fell, "Very well." He turned to go, then looked back. "Are you coming back to the camp?"

I was about to follow, when once again I felt that I could not. I paused. What was this? I knew not where it came from, but in my heart, I felt a call and I could not ignore it. For whatever reason, I could not go back to the camp. I shook my head. "I will be along shortly, maybe."

Legolas looked bemused, then nodded, looking at me closely. "Do not be long."

I did not answer as he turned and slowly walked away. I waited until he was out of sight and then began walking in the opposite direction. I did not know where I was being called, but I followed the way that seemed right. It felt like a call for help, an urgent call.

Quickening my pace, I hurried on.

~ Rosriel

2 comments:

Ella said...

I'm...I'm a princess?

Lanta said...

Haha!

Where are you going, Rose?