Saturday, April 18, 2009

Disapproving elves ruin everything....

I heard them talking, and knew I should try to listen, but I really couldn’t. I sat up for a moment, straining to hear, when I heard Anarion’s voice, but then I lay back, and stared blankly at nothing.

The dream I’d had last night still lingered with me, and I could not shake it off. Pieces of it wove through my conscious even as I tried to repress them.

The rustle in the bushes… the eyes… the feeling of fear… who could have followed me all this way? Someone who hates me…

I shuddered, and called quickly, “Vila?”

No answer. She was probably with the others. I sighed, wishing I had anything to distract my mind with.

I miss Ella.

The thought hurt, but it was a distraction, and a distraction was what I wanted.

Someone walked by, I could see legs passing. I shot a hand outside the tent swiftly and grabbed them.

“Lira?” It was Anarion, and he sounded surprised. He sat down next to me, and raised an eyebrow. I let go of his leg.

“I’m bored,” I informed him. “Tell me what is going on.”

He obliged. “Rosriel seems to have wandered off.”

Her, too? Who next? Vila? No, Vila wouldn’t leave me.

He saw my face, and added quickly, “She said she would return to the camp, but she has not as of yet, and we are rather worried for her. Legolas and Aldarion set off to look for her.”

“Oh,” I said.

He took this as an encouragement, and went on. “And Turwetheil seems to have gone followed them.” Something about this last statement seemed to amuse him, for his eyes were merry. But I was confused.

“Turwetheil?” I asked, puzzled. I could not put a face to the name.

“One of the new elves,” he explained, and I nodded.

There was a brief silence, and I said, finally, to fill it, “I am hungry.”

He smiled. “I am too. Samdo was making a stew, shall I see if it is ready, and if so, fetch you some?”

Now I was the one who smiled. “Certainly!” I said. “But do you know what would be even more appreciated?”

He looked a little wary at the mischievous look in my eyes.

“What would that be?” he asked anyway.

I reached under my pillow, fumbled around a little, and then pulled out a small packet, and held it out to him.

“Just empty the contents of this into the stew when no one’s looking.” I smiled imploringly at him, but he did not take it.

“What is in it?” His voice still sounded wary, actually, even more now.

“It won’t poison anyone, if that’s what you’re asking.” I smiled sweetly, and added thoughtfully, “And it’ll be more fun for you if you don’t know what it’s going to do ahead of time.”

He did not look very compliant, however, so I leaned toward him, put on hand on his arm, gazed pleadingly into his eyes, slipped the packet into his hand, and said softly, “Oh, please, Anarion! I promise it won’t ruin the stew! It would entertain me so much, and you can’t know how bored I have been! I would be forever grateful to you!”

He blinked at my rather obvious flirting, but his hand closed around the packet.

Vila is so much better at this than me....

Just then, Ellohir poked his head into the tent. “Anarion, would you—“ he began, and then broke off, staring at us. He looked slightly shocked.

And considering that mask-like elvish face, he’s probably a lot more than slightly shocked!

Anarion and I sat back away from each other quickly.

“Yes, Ellohir?” Anarion inquired.

Ellohir glanced at me, then said quickly, “We can talk outside.”

They left, but Anarion glanced back at me, saw my eyes fixed first on the packet hidden in his hand, than on his face, and winked. Unfortunately, Ellohir saw that too, and frowned at Anarion, pulling him quickly away.

I sighed.

Moral of the story—don’t flirt with Rangers when there are sharp-eyed, paranoid elves around.

I got up after a bit and made my way slowly and rather painfully to the campfire. It hurt, but I just had to see everyone’s faces when they saw the stew.

(Ooc--Please, NOBODY post anything about the stew until I post!!!!! ;))

3 comments:

Victoria Rose said...

Uh....Lanta? What is up with: "'And Turwetheil seems to have gone followed them.' Something about this last statement seemed to amuse him, for his eyes were merry."

Why would my leaving be amusing to him? And I am glad I left...I won't have to be surprised with that stew! lol!

Rose Marchen said...

OH no Latna.... I wish I was there to see their faces too!

Lanta said...

Rose, you HAVE to bring them back so they can be shocked by the stew!!!