I had run on and on, following the call that I felt deep in my heart. And as I ran I pondered. Where did this call come from? Who was calling me? Could it be Ella? Was she hurt? No, I thought. I knew that it was not Ella, it was someone else.
The sun was getting lower and lower in the sky. I glanced up anxiously. The call was getting fainter, and I knew I had to find who ever it was soon, before dark. I quickened my pace and then stopped. Wait, what was that I had heard? Listening carefully, I heard a faint moan to my left. Stepping lightly, I walked towards the sound, then coming around a tree I spotted something. Someone. It was a girl, and she was lying on the ground as if in pain.
Quickly I knelt at her side, and laid my hand on her forehead. I spoke gently. "Hello? Can you hear me? You are very ill...and hurt too. I want to help you. Will you let me? Will you let my friends and I take care of you? My name is Rosriel." I saw her mouth move and bent down close. I heard a horse, faint whisper.
"Yes."
I sighed with relief. "Can you tell me what is wrong? Where does it hurt?" I waited for an answer. The girl's mouth moved feebly, but no sound came out. A tear slipped down her face. "There, there," I wiped the tear away. "It's alright. You don not have to say a thing. Just try to sleep and I will take care of you." She relaxed and I lifted my water skin to her lip, helping her get a small drink. Then I set about gathering wood for a campfire.
As I gathered bits of brush and twig I heard a rustle behind me. I stood and looked carefully around. My keen eyes caught the sight of a figure dropping quickly down behind some bushes. My breath caught in my throat. I could hardly believe my eyes. "Ella? Ella, come out! I saw you!"
Slowly she stood up. Tears filled my eyes as I ran to my sister and embraced her. She pulled away.
"Rosriel, I had to leave. I am sorry I did not say good-bye, but you must understand..."
I put my finger to her lips. "It is alright, really." I hesitated. "I understand, and if you still do not want come back, if you want to go on your way... that is alright with me."
Ella stared. "It - it is?"
I nodded. "Yes, if that is what you need to do. But for now, "I grabbed her hand. "Please, will you not spend the night with me? I would love to have another talk with you, and I need help." I re-gathered my kindling and began leading the way. "I found a young girl, she is very sick and injured I believe as well. I need help caring for her."
Ella nodded. "Of course I will help you. " She began building the fire as I examined the girl, who now appeared to be sleeping. I carefully felt her arms and legs, noticing that she winced when I touched her ankle. I looked up.
"Her ankle appears to be broken," I examined her further. "But other then that, she just seems to be dehydrated and I wager that she has not eaten in a few days."
Ella came over and knelt next to me. "Do you think she will be alright?"
I ripped off the hem of my dress and finding a flat stick, began binding the girl's ankle. "I think so, if she gets something to eat." I looked up. "Did you bring any food supplies?"
Ella looked through her pouch. "A few things, but not something she could just swallow. And I'm not sure how to make a broth with what's around here." She glanced around. "Or should I say... what's not around here."
I sighed, looking down at the sleeping form. "Well, then I guess we shall have to wait until someone finds us." I half smiled. "I imagine Legolas is having a panic attack over my disappearance, and most likely everyone else is worried as well." I laid my hand on Ella's shoulder. "If anyone should show up, particularly Legolas, it is alright if you go on."
She nodded slowly. "I will decide that later."
We sat together in the growing darkness, watching over the injured girl, enjoying each other's company as only sisters could.
~ Lady Rosriel
Thursday, April 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
:D
Post a Comment