It was pitch black by now, but that meant nothing to two elves and two rangers. Quickly we huddled together to make our plan of attack.
"Elrohir and I will confront the dwarf," said Elladan. "It is us he wishes to speak to anyhow. Elena, Anarion, see to the maids."
I blinked. "Maids? Have the others been captured as well?"
"I have not the least idea who Lira's companion might be," he replied. "But unless my ears decieve me, there are two maidens in that hollow."
I pulled out a small dagger and got down on my hands and knees. The others did the same. We covered the ground quickly and within minutes could see the small flickering flames of a campfire. On the near side of the fire was the bushy head of a dwarf. Lira and her companion (thankfully no one I knew!) were tied up on the otherside.
Without warning, the twins burst forwards and tackled the dwarf. At the same moment Anarion sprang up and rushed to the captives. His knife made swift work of Lira's bounds.
Stunned for only an instance, I quickly recovered and joined him, setting to work on the ropes that held Lira's companion. She looked somewhat elvish, but was far shorter than any elf I had seen in my life. Furthermore, her hair was curly. Only hobbits had curly hair!
"Thank you!" She said breathlessly as I finished cutting through the ropes.
"Glad to be of service," I told her. "My name is Elenatintil."
"Raewyn," she replied. But I noticed that her eyes were no longer on me. Instead she was staring intently at the twins who now had the dwarf firmly at arrowpoint. "Who are they?"
"Elladan and Elrohir, the sons of Elrond," I answered, feeling a bit irritated. But I had no time to say anything further, for at that moment Lira began (quite understandably) to cry. Anarion had rested a hand somewhat comfortingly on her shoulder, but I knew that at a time like this, only another female would truly understand her distress. I quickly moved over to comfort her.
Meanwhile the elves were questioning the dwarf.
"Who are you?"
"Why have you kidnapped these defenseless maidens?"
"Where have you come from?"
"What is your purpose in this land?"
The dwarf was glaring fiercely at them. "And why should I tell you anything, Elven Princelings? Even from you I expected more courtesy than to be thrown out at the gate!!!"
Elladan scowled at him. "You will speak because we hold your life in our hands. And were it not for your cruel act against these maids we would have followed you and begged your pardon for our steward's rudeness!"
"Never let it be said that our father's house refused lodging to any of the free folk!" added Elrohir.
The dwarf seemed to be reconsidering his options. Finally he nodded. "Put away your bows."
The twins lowered their arrows and slackened their hold, but they did not resheath the arrows.
"I said, put them away," said the dwarf with a growl.
"I think not," said Elladan. "Not after what you've done."
"Then I will not talk!"
"Put them away," said Anarion, breaking into the conversation. "Even unarmed I think the three of us here are more than match for one dwarf."
"True enough," agreed Elrohir, putting his arrow away.
With a sigh, Elladan followed suit. "Very well," he said. "They're away. Now speak."
The dwarf crossed his arms. "My name is Dorin, son of Dor. I am a messenger from the Mines of Moria, sent to bring an invitation to our halls in hopes of restoring friendship between our people."
Elladan and Elrohir both turned amusing shades of red. The dwarf seemed to gain confidence from that.
"Forty years ago," he continued. "My kinsman, Gimli son of Gloin, led a party into the mountains to rebuild the halls of the Dwarrowdelf. With help from the elves of Lorian, we drove the goblins form the mountains and re-established our kingdom there. Now, our work being at it's height and our halls restored to their former glory, we have invited the royalty from the realms of Rivendell, Mirkwood and Lorian to come and drink friendship and fortune with us."
~Elenatintil, 18 miles
4 comments:
Well, that's a proper eye opener and no mistake!
--- Master Samdo
That was awesome, Elena! How did you know I have curly hair? *winks*
Oh, dear. I'm sorry if I offended you. Know I am eternly grateful for you having freed me! You must understand, I have never seen a Elf before, much less two very handsome identical ones!
Ah! Anarion likes her already. *smiles smugly* My designs are going just as I had hoped.
thanks to me being a helpless maiden in distress! *flutters eyelashes at ranger*
um, if the dwarf was sent to bring an invitation, why on earth would he kidnap me????
Post a Comment