"His grandfather, Peregrin, has died," Aldarion spoke softly. "He asked to be alone for a few moments."
"Oh no!" I whispered, tearing up. Having met Pippin several times, it was hard to think of such a wonderful, lively hobbit as no longer living. "When?"
Aldarion looked away, and I could see tears on his face as well. Elanor was sobbing quietly, Vila with her. "He died a few days before my brother and I left Minas Tirith, we stayed long enough for the burial, then departed."
We sat in silence, filled with sorrow and grief. Elanor spoke up. "My grandfather Merry, is he still alive?"
"He yet lived when we departed, but he is old, and was much grieved over his dear friends passing. Do not hope to find him there when you arrive."
Her head bowed again in sorrow, and Vila wrapped her arms around the young hobbit, comforting her. We heard footsteps approaching, and looking up, we saw Samdo walking towards us, his eyes red from weeping. Elanor jumped up from her seat on the rock, ran, and wrapped him in a comforting hug. He let his head rest on her shoulder, crying unabashedly. We gathered around, offering our comfort. Together, Aldarion, Vila and I sang a song of parting.
When the cold of winter comes
Starless night will cover day
In the veiling of the sun
We will walk in bitter rain
But in dreams
I can hear your name
And in dreams
We will meet again
When the seas and mountains fall
And we come, to end of days
In the dark I hear a call
Calling me there,
I will go there
And back again
~Lady Rosriel
8 comments:
Oh how grevious is this news...I weep that I was not there to share in your sorrow.
I pray that we find Merry still alive when we reach the city!
Nooooo! *weeps* He was so brave and sweet...Oh, let not Merry follow!
My thanks, Mama Rose, for placing me among the Members of the Fellowship! *hugs*
Could you perhaps add to "..has curly hair," "and is called Wyn."
Will do, Wyn!
I do not yet know if we will find Merry alive. And we have so far to go when we find out!
(NOTE: In the tale of years, it says Merry and Pippin both died the same year, so if we get to Gondot next year, merry will have died.)
Well then we shall have to pick up our pace once this month is completed.
This is indeed sad news. I had seen Merry and Pippin on a couple of occasions, and always felt they were wonderful, worthy Hobbits. I would have liked to know them better. I pray we will find Merry safe and sound.
How sad! Poor Samdo, though I am not directly related to pippin, I will miss him greatly. Please let my Grandfather be alive when we arive.
But, but, if we pick up our pace... then we'll be done! Over, through, much to fast! Unless... Middle Earth years are slightly longer than ours... *looks hopefully*
(BTW, this is Lady Rose, too lazy to switch accounts. ={ )
Post a Comment