Monday, June 23, 2008

If you give an elf a cookie - I mean hug

This morning, I woke up to the sound of voices. Sleepily, I glanced around, but it appeared that all of my companions were asleep. Bemused, I sat up and looked around. Sounds from behind alerted me and I turned to see Ella along with another, very tall, blond haired elf, who looked very familiar...

"Legolas!" I shrieked happily, waking the rest of the camp. I bounded over my sleepy friends and strangled my cousin in a delighted hug.

"Rosriel!" He laughed and returned my hug. "I hardly expected such a greeting, even from you. It has only been a month since I last saw you!"

I hugged him happily, laughing as well. "You should know by now, my dear cousin, that I am always happy to see you... especially when you are unexpected."



He made fake choking sounds. "Well, you will not have the pleasure of my company much longer if you continue your strangulation of my neck!"

Giggling, I released him. I happened to look over at Ella, and saw that she looked slightly jealous. What could she be jealous of? I wondered. I turned back to the fellowship, who was now awake and staring. I was puzzled to notice that Raewyn and Lira also look a bit upset and envious. What is wrong with them? I am only greeting a cousin who I happen to be very close to.

"Legolas!" Elladan stepped forward, breaking the silence. "It is a pleasure to meet you again."

"And you," returned my cousin, who had apparently not noticed the envious looks I was getting. Feeling a bit self conscious, I let go of his arm.

Elena stepped forward, smiling. "Glad to see you again! What brings you here?" Well, I thought At least someone is not unhappy.

By turn, each member of our Fellowship greeted Legolas. Raewyn and Lira offered a slightly cold greeting, I noticed. Samdo and Elanor - the only two who had not met Legolas before - seemed slightly in awe of him.
"You were with the first Fellowship, weren't you," Elanor said.
"What was it like?" Samdo asked at the same time.

Legolas smiled. "Yes I was, and if you would like to hear about it, I would be happy to tell you sometime."

As long as he was occupied, I was determined to get to the bottom of the jealousy I was noticing among my friends. "Come here," I whispered to the three, dragging them off a ways.

"What is this for?" Raewyn almost snapped.

"What are you jealous about?" I retorted. "Do not try to deny it, it is very obvious that you are."

"Well then," Ella spoke up, her face red, but I could see she was almost crying. "Why do you get a greeting like that?"

"Yes!" shot in Lira. "And why do you get to give him such a friendly greeting? I thought you liked Aldarion."

My face flamed. "For your information, Legolas is my cousin. He was around while I was a child and growing up, and we are very close. I am an only child, in case you did not know, and he has always been like an older brother to me. Why should I not greet him with a hug? What is wrong with that? How could you be angry with me for showing affection towards a family member?" By now, I was practically in tears, and turned to walk away. I felt myself whirled around and wrapped in a hug.

"I'm so sorry," sobbed Raewyn. "I didn't mean to get upset with you. I understand, oh, please forgive me for hurting your feelins, I didn't mean it..."

I hugged her back. "Oh course I forgive you!"
Lira and Ella, both crying as well, also gave me a hug, "Will you forgive us as also?"
"Of course!" I laughed through my tears. "You are my friends, are you not?"

Hugging and smiling, we walked back to camp.

~Lady Rosriel - 36 miles

6 comments:

Ella said...

I'm terribly sorry! I don't know what I was thinking. Of course I knew you were related. I guess I was upset because I didn't get the same kind of greeting, and Legolas is my closest friend. Still, no excuse.

I'm grateful you're so forgiving!

Grace K. said...

Mamma, I cannot believe I was so mean to you! Please forgive me. I did say it was unrequited.

I would never ever be so hurtful..although, if it had been Elrohir you had hugged that would have been a different story...;)

Grace K. said...

I come off so horrible! *sniffs*

Ella said...

Yeah, so do I. :( I always thought I handled jealousy by crying about it, not by growing angry...interesting.

Rose Marchen said...

Thank you all for letting me take such artistic liscence with your charachters!
LOL, I would probably be really grumpy too if I woke up to see someone enthusiasticallly hugging someone I really "liked". No hard feelings!

Ella, I was going to add that you were crying in there.. but I couldn't find the right place. Might do slight revisions to the post. (It needs it, I posted it in a hurry.)

Ella said...

No problem, Lady Rosriel.

I like that addition. :)