Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Oh, no....

Legolas took me aside that evening, with a rather stern expression on his face that did not bode well. I watched him out of the corner of my eye, apprehensively, hoping he was not going to act fatherly and ruin my fun again. My father, who had been a good friend of Legolas, had died during the War of the Ring, which, for some reason, had made Legolas feel responsible for me. Which, in itself, wouldn’t have been so bad, since I liked Legolas, but when it came to messing up our—Vila, myself, and sometimes some our friends—plans, that was just too much!
And it seemed he was going to again.
“Lira, I noticed that you were flirting with that young ranger earlier,” he began, frowning at me, and my heart sank. So that was it. Well, no matter what he might say, I wasn’t going to stop this time. I liked Anarion.
“So?” I said, my voice sounding a bit more defiant than I had intended it to be.
Legolas’s frown deepened. “I knew letting you and your sister join this fellowship without proper supervision would cause trouble,” he said with a sigh, more to himself than me. “But your mother seemed to think that being maids of Queen Arwen had settled both of you down a bit, and given you a chance to mature. It seems she was mistaken, however.” He waited for me to say something, and I cast around hastily in my mind for something to distract him, but he went on before I could think of anything.
“It’s a good thing I’m here to keep an eye on you now.”
Oh, no.
“Will you be staying with us?” I asked, carefully making my voice sound bright and cheerful, as though I was happy to have him with us. He looked rather suspicious at my tone, though, as well he might. I was fuming inside.
“Elenatintil had kindly invited me to join her fellowship, and I gladly accepted her offer.”
Oh, no.
My feelings towards Elena at that moment were anything but glad or kind, but I tried to look pleased. He was not fooled, though, and returned to the original subject.
“I hope you will stay away from Anarion, Lira, or I shall have to have a talk with him,” he said, the stern look back on his face. "He is a good man, and I won't have you breaking his heart for fun."
I considered denying his accusation indignately, but decided it would have the opposite effect.
So instead, I agreed meekly, while contemplating my revenge.

6 comments:

Lanta said...

hey, who wants to help me shove legolas in a well? or give me any ideas better than that....
*starts screaming*
I AM A MISUNDERSTOOD ELF, AND NO ONE WANTS TO HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ella said...

I'll help you, but not in ways that would harm Legolas. Would you like me to have a talk with him? I'm certain I could help him to see your side of things--which in turn would cause him to ease up on you.

Rose Marchen said...

Oh, I love Aldarion! He is so sweet!

Sorry, you mentioning Anarion naturally made me think of his brother...


Hmm, want me to talk to him for you? Or maybe you should give more concrete proof for your real affection for Anarion.

Ella said...

Maybe you and I should gang up on him and make him listen to us, Lady Rosriel. :o)

Lanta said...

oh, would you? thank you so much! i think that would definitely help, if you all talked to him!

*looks rather embarrassed* um, you see, i have rather a bad reputation for flirting with any handsome elf within range, without being serious.... i'm afraid that's helping influence him against my honesty *cries*

Ella said...

Of course we'll talk to him! He can't hold your past against you forever. *hugs* Don't cry! This will all be over soon!