"Do you always wake up this early?" I asked, disguising my pleasure at seeing Legolas with pseudo annoyance.
"Only when I have something worth getting up for," he answered.
"I don't think I want to know what you mean by that." I said.
"How is your ankle doing?"
"Good, actually. I think I can walk on it now. I would like to."
"No," he said. "I don't think you ought to try just yet. I mean...you may make it worse."
I sighed. "Stop treating me like a baby; it'll be fine."
He didn't look convinced, but didn't press the matter. "Ella...we're in good company here."
"I know," I said, wondering what his reason for bringing that up was. A sudden chill went down me as the thought of him confessing his love for a fellow traveler went through my mind.
"The best, one could even argue," he continued. "Or close to the best--you know I'll always say Gimli's company is top."
"Legolas," I said. Best to get this over with soon. "Do you have a point?"
He smiled. "Indeed I do. Hear me out. We are with good people here. No one will hurt you. I think it's time you let your secret out."
I was relieved that was all he wanted, but was still stubborn on this matter. "It isn't a matter of when the right time is, Legolas--because there never will be a 'right time.' My secret is not something I ever wish to be revealed. You know that."
"But Ella--look. Elinor has it too. As does Wyn."
"They're hobbits. I'm an elf. There's a tiny bit of a difference."
"But listen, Ella. Maybe you're a hobbit."
I stared at him. He looked serious, so I stifled my giggle. "There's a slight problem
with your theory. I look nothing like a hobbit. I look like an elf. Oh, maybe because I am an elf."
"What I mean is, you could be part hobbit. Ella, don't you see? I can't imagine why I didn't think of it before. This could be why finding your family has been so difficult--I've been looking in the wrong places!"
I brightened. "Really? You think this could help?"
Legolas smiled. "Definitely."
~Ella Ellessanderil, 61 miles
6 comments:
Oh great...
And I quote Treebeard, "Do not be hasty!"
But this gives me hope, Lady Rosriel! Maybe we can find my family, at last!
61 miles?!? How are you at 61 miles? I'm still at sixteen or so!
Um...I don't know. I suppose it helps that I have dance every week, so that's 3 miles a week, plus I walk to the library as often as possible and that's another 3 miles every time. But I thought I was doing poorly because I've only walked 1 mile since the last time I posted (even if I do have a sort of excuse).
I bet you have hairy feet like a hobbit--is my guess correct?
Um...not that I have noticed. But it's possible.
Post a Comment