Tuesday, July 8, 2008

An Accidental Eavesdropping

I lay beside the fire, staring up at the stars, fingering the necklace I wore about my neck. I thought again about the sister I had never met. I wonder if she is alive, somewhere.

Sighing, I rolled over to go to sleep, when low voices cought my ear. It was Aldarion and Legolas. They were sitting on the other side of our campfire, and it seemed as if they were in the middle of a conversation. I must have been so wrapped in my thoughts that I did not hear them. Out of idelness, I listened.

"No", Aldarion laughed slightly. "I am not one to go around telling people I love them." He paused. "No, I have taken a vow, that I shall tell no maiden that I love her, unless I am ready to ask for her hand in marriage with my next breath."

"That is a good vow to take," Legolas replied thoughtfully. "But one that not many can keep."

"I have so far, and I intend to keep it."

There was silence for a good many minutes. I was about to fall alseep, when I cought my name.

"The Lady Rosriel, is you cousin, is she not, Legolas?"

"Yes, she is."

"Are you two particularily close?"

"Meaning do we confide in eachother?" Legolas asked. "Yes, we do frequently and we have since she was young." I had rolled over slightly and saw him glance at Aldarion. "Why do you ask?"

Aldarion's face was in the shadow, so I could not see his expression. "Do you know, I was just curious, prehaps wrongly so but, I was wondering..." he hesitated. "Does, is she - promised - to anyone?"

Legolas thought. "She has not plighted troth with any one." I could see him smile. "Nor had her heart been given to anyone when she left the Greenwood for Rivendell." He added casually, "Of course, that may have changed since she departed that fair place." He laughed. "Does that satisfy your questionings, Aldarion?"

Aldarion shifted almost uncomfortably. "Yes, thank you." He stood up, looking out at the dark landscape, then back at Legolas. I could see his face now, which was serious. "I did not want to make any mistakes."

Legolas stood up as well, and he said something that I could not hear.
"So I assume your heart is free as well?" He added louder.

"Why do you think I asked the questions I did?" returned Aldarion.

He walked away, and Legolas sat down near the fire. I turned on to my back. Why did I feel so breathless? Yes, I liked Aldarion, but I had never thought.... Why was I so completely elated? What was this feeling? I had never been in love before... was this it? I did not know.
Confused, I fell asleep.

~ Rosriel 52 miles

18 comments:

Ella said...

Aw, I'm so happy for you, Lady Rosriel! Even though nothing has exactly happened yet--we have ample reason to hope!

Rose Marchen said...

So... do you think I am in love? I like Aldarion and all... but do I know him well enough? Ah! Questions questions questions! Still, I am very happy today!

Ella said...

I think that time alone will answer that question for you. For now, enjoy the feelings, and do not worry about what they mean for the future.

Rose Marchen said...

Thank you! *hugs Ella* Yes, I think to much on them, I fear I shall begin acting ... oddly.. around Aldarion, not my self, and uncomfortable. And I do not want that!

Ella said...

*hugs back* If I see you acting strangely, I will tell you. :)

Grace K. said...

I'm so happy for you! *hugs her tightly*

*happy look fades* *wails* Everyone is falling in love and having conversations with their to-bes' but me! Where is Elrohir?!

Ella said...

I'm not doing either, Wyn. You're not alone. :)

Grace K. said...

Yes, but at least you fell into Legolas' arms and got to talk to him!

What have I gotten from Elrohir? Nothing!!

Unknown said...

Post more often!

Ella said...

Um...Legolas and I are just friends...

Lanta said...

aw, now we both can have our rangers, Rosriel! *hugs*
*whispers* we can ger married together! *looks around hastily to make sure Legolas didn't hear*

Rose Marchen said...

*blushes*

Lanta said...

*giggles*
hey, who is your unknown possibly dead sister?

Unknown said...

Ah, that has yet to be told. I shall explain the sad tale at a different time.

Lanta said...

lady rose, you're also amanda? *is confused*

Unknown said...

Yes sorry! I have two Google accounts and sometimes am signed in as Amanda and being too lazy to change it.... I just leave it. *rolls eyes* It's awful.

~ Lady Rose

Lanta said...

Ah, I see. Do you use both of them?

Rose Marchen said...

For blogs? No.