Anyhow, here is what really happened.
The snow had started to fall fast and thick by the time the company had made it halfway up the mountain and camped for the night. Rosriel had watched her sister closely the whole day. She could sense that something was bothering Ella, but she couldn't tell what. I must talk to her about it, tonight after everyone else is asleep.
After dinner, Rosriel waited impatiently as slowly, one by one, the rest of the company wrapped themselves in blankets and lay down. Carefully, Rosriel eased herself up and crept over to where her sister lay.
Rosriel gently touched Ella's shoulder and whispered her name. Ella did not move. She started shaking her a little. Still, no response.
Rosriel grunted and looked around, trying to think of a new tactic. Snow! Of course! She grabbed a handful and dropped it onto Ella.
Ella woke up with a gasp, sat straight up and pulled out her knife. "Who is there?"
Rosriel jumped back, hissing, "Ella! Be careful with that thing."
Ella relaxed, recognizing her Rosriel's voice. "Rosriel, it is only you. You startled me!"
Rosriel moved closer, "I am sorry for startling you," she said apologetically. "But you would not wake up."
Ella laughed quietly, "Well, I am certainly awake now." Her face took on an alarmed expression. "Is something wrong?"
"No," Rosriel shook her head, "nothing wrong in general. But I sense that something is wrong with you, and I wanted to talk to you about it. I did not realize that you were asleep already."
Ella raised a disbelieving eyebrow at Rosriel. "Do I usually need snow pelted on me just to get my attention? I think not."
"Ella...tell me what's bothering you."
Ella was silent for a moment, seeming to ponder. Finally she said, "I don't know what you're talking about."
Rosriel sighed impatiently. "Ella, there is something that is bothering, I can see it in your face. Why won't you talk to me about it?"
"There is nothing wrong with me."
"Yes, there is! I know there is!" Rosriel took Ella's hand. "I only want to help you. Can't you trust me?"
"Of course I trust you," Ella hesitated.
Rosriel paused, then said softly. "Is it about Legolas?"
Ella stared at Rosriel, glanced at Legolas to be certain he was still asleep, and nodded slightly. She stared at her hands. "Is it that obvious?" she whispered.
I knew it. Rosriel shook her head, "No, I don't think that anyone else has noticed," she paused and Ella looked relieved. "Except for perhaps Legolas."
Ella looked up, slightly pale. "Do you really think so?"
"I'm not entirely sure," Rosriel said thoughtfully. "At least, I don't think he knows that you are troubled about him, exactly. But why don't you tell me just exactly what trouble you are having."
I knew it. Rosriel shook her head, "No, I don't think that anyone else has noticed," she paused and Ella looked relieved. "Except for perhaps Legolas."
Ella looked up, slightly pale. "Do you really think so?"
"I'm not entirely sure," Rosriel said thoughtfully. "At least, I don't think he knows that you are troubled about him, exactly. But why don't you tell me just exactly what trouble you are having."
Ella started making designs in the snow as she tried to form words. "It's just...things have been awkward ever since Leggy told me......you know. And I don't know how to fix it. I want him to....." Ella shook her head, dismissing the thought. "I want our friendship to go back to normal."
Rosriel and Ella
No comments:
Post a Comment