I am going to kill that elf. Or I would if he had succeeded in his little scheme. When I slipped away from the group this morning, I found Legolas waiting for me.
"Tell me everything you know about your past," he said.
"And good morning to you too," I said, kneeling down and beginning my morning routine.
He said nothing.
"Determined, this morning, I see."
"Do you want my help?"
"Yes. Sorry. We've been through this before...I know nothing."
"Remind me how much nothing you know."
"All right," I said. "Elrond told me I was brought to Rivendell by a woman he did not know. She asked that I be taken care of, but would tell him nothing about my past. In Elrond's mind that meant that my past was something I ought to be ashamed of. I don't believe that though. I have to trust that my family was or is good and noble. The woman who left me was not a relative. That's all I know."
"Well, that and the fact that you have--"
"Yes, that. If it means anything."
"Ella, maybe it does. Maybe...maybe someone along with us can help you! They come from all over. Perhaps they have heard something."
"And perhaps not. I'd rather not have my hopes dashed, Legolas. Not again."
"But if we don't ask, we'll never know."
I sighed.
Without warning, Legolas grabbed my arm and pulled me toward the others. "Everybody wake up!" he yelled.
I screamed and released myself from his grip. He wanted them to see me before my preparations were finished! He wanted me to reveal my secret! I couldn't let him. A part of me said that maybe he was right, and it would help, but a larger part reminded me of what had happened in the past, and I had no desire to return to that. I ran from him, crying.
My tears are beginning to dry now, but I'm not yet ready to return to camp. I have been humiliated. And I know not what they may have seen. They were sleepy, but some did open their eyes. Perhaps I was just a blur, as I am hoping, but perhaps not.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Which elf do we handle with care?
Haha, me! Except Legolas didn't listen to that. Grr.
Post a Comment