Monday, March 15, 2010

A New Companion

I lept forward to catch the girl as she fell to the ground.  Her sword slipped from her hand and her head rolled back.  She looked young, very young.  Elrohir bent over us.  "Is she alright?"

I looked over her briefly.  "I do not think that she is hurt."  I glanced to her sword and at the direction she had come from and could make out the fallen shape of a wolf.  "She killed one of the wolves though."

Elenatintil came over and knelt down beside me.  She looked the girl over closely.  "No, she is not injured. Anarion, carry her over to the fire."

Anarion gently took the girl from me and brought her over to the fire where Elenatintil began to examine her.  I looked out into the darkness.  It seemed as if the wolves were gone, but they had gone so quickly... and why had they attacked us in the first place?  I spoke to Aldarion in a low voice.  "Do you think they have left?"

He too glanced into the night.  "I hope so.  We will have to keep a guard for the rest of the night."  He touched my arm briefly.  "Are you alright?"

Try as I might, I still could not help trembling at his touch.  "Yes, I am fine.  And you?"

He nodded.  "The same."  He walked away from me.  "Elladan, Legolas, Elrohir, help me to dispose of the carcasses."

I looked over the rest of the company.  They all seemed to be fine.  But wait... where was Samdo?  I looked about again, thinking that I had missed him in the low light.  I could not find him.  I turned around as I heard a shout from Legolas.

"I've found Samdo!"

Elanor gave a cry and ran towards Legolas.  Picking up my skirts, I followed her and we met Legolas at the edge of the firelight.  "Is he alright?" I asked anxiously.

"He is alive," Legolas reassured us, "but he will need Elenatintil's healing."  We followed Legolas as he carried the hobbit and laid him down gently near the fire.  Elenatintil hurried over to us and bent over Samdo.  Her face was grave.  "Rosriel, would you tend to the girl while I care for Samdo?  I think she will wake soon."


I nodded, biting my lip and hoping that Samdo was alright.  I made my way to the other side of the campfire and knelt down beside the girl as she started to stir.




~ Rosriel

No comments: