It was dark now. I had made my way down from the mountain side and followed the mountain's feet. Turmegil had told me that this was the way to the Redhorn Pass, by which we would cross the mountains.
Wha- what? I saw firelight, a campfire, burning just ahead. I shrank back against the rocks. The orc encampment? Turmegil, was he still alive? Maybe this was fate pushing me along to rescue him?
I dared to peek around the corner, and what I saw was the last thing I expected. There, sitting by a small campfire was an elf, tall and fair, wrapped in contemplation. Around him I could see, partially illuminated by the flickering firelight, the forms of sleeping people, elves..., and one, no, two men, and tents. And at the far reach of the camp I saw two dark-haired girls, sitting on their blankets and whispering. I stared in confusion. Suddenly I heard a strange and fearful noise.
"Ahwooooooh!"
The two girls sat upright with a start, and the elf by the fire leapt to his feet. I watched, frozen in place, while the camp stirred into action. The elves, one dark, and another fair one, readied their bows. Inside me I could feel my heart thumping, whether from hunger, sorrow, or fear I did not know. Soon all in the camp were up and armed, banded together. Then too quickly, the wolves came. They were upon the company in a pack and I knew I had made a mistake in waiting in the shadows. Seven of them, snarling and growling approached the company, and two ran towards me.
I drew my thin sword in readiness and held it out before me. Even now I could hear the shouts of the group on the other side. The wolves were upon me, and I flashed my blade. Not for naught were the hours Turmegil had stolen away from the Slave-masters to train me. They saved my life now. My first slash hit one in the neck, and he fell, whimpering and writhing on the grass, leaving the other to leap upon me. I ducked my head under his smelly neck, and drove my sword into his stomach. Suddenly I felt horribly sick. I crawled out from under the wolf and staggered to my feet, who bore me, stumbling, towards the company. Dimly I could see the battle ending. Somehow many more people had appeared. Why? What was going on? The figures blurred, were there three girls, or six? I was right next to them, why didn't they see me? I swallowed and shook my head. Then the younger of the two men whirled about and swung his sword at my head. I fell to my knees, bringing my sword up in one desperate parry....
Silence.
The blow did not hit.
"Elrohir!" a girl's voice exclaimed. And as the world went black I saw the surprised faces of half a dozen people staring anxiously at me......
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Welcome to our fellowship, if you don't mind me asking...who are you? I am Victoria Senrahb on the forum, and Turwetheil on this adventure. Are you on the forum?
~Vicki
Hi!
I am a friend of Lady Rose, whom I met at camp. I think we may have met there too... I am, sadly, not yet on the forum (I'll have to see what I can do about that; FTN, right?) Check out my profile for more about me!
~Elsie
I was at camp!!!! :D Who were you!?!? What cabin were you in?
I was in Paul, but I am very careful with my public identity online. :)
Post a Comment